× Do you have an obituary for a Phillips or one where a Phillips is mentioned and want to share it? Perhaps you discovered an old obituary that mentioned your Phillips ancestor. If you are a registered user of this website and forum, please feel free to share them here! If you have another type of record, such as a Bible record or a deed? Just let the administrator know and we will create a category for it.

Catherine (Phillips) Smith plural w/o Hyrum Smith

• Mamie
  • Topic Author
  • Forum Super Star
  • Forum Super Star
More
10 Feb 2011 12:31 #242 by Mamie
Tues., July 26, 1905
-Catherine Phillips Smith, widow and plural wife of Patriarch Hyrum Smith, died in West Jordan, Salt Lake Co. She was born Aug. 1, 1819.

Source: Church Chronology: A Record Of Important Events, Pertaining To The History Of The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter-Day Saints, compiled by Andrew Jensen, Assistant Church Historian, printed at The Deseret News, Salt Lake City, Utah, 1914; Pg. 24

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Mamie
  • Topic Author
  • Forum Super Star
  • Forum Super Star
More
10 Feb 2011 12:45 #243 by Mamie
Add'l Info:

.....That Hyrum Smith, brother of the Prophet and one of his most trusted advisers, was also a polygamist, is proved by the following affidavit published in the "Deseret News," Salt Lake City. 1904:

"Catherine Phillips Smith, being first duly sworn, says: "I am the daughter of Thomas Denner and Sarah Goodshall Phillips, and was born in Philadelphia, State of Pennsylvania, on the first day of August, 1819. My present residence is East Jordan, Salt Lake County, Utah.

"I was married to Hyrum Smith, brother of Prophet Joseph Smith himself, at Nauvoo, State of Illinois, in August, 1843, in the brick office belonging to my husband, and occupied at the time as a dwelling by brother and sister Robert and Julia Stone, and was witnessed by my mother, sister Stone, and her daughter, Hattie.

"In consequence of the strong feeling manifested at the time against plural marriage and those suspected of having entered into it, I, with my mother, moved to St. Louis near the close of the year, where I was living when the Prophet Joseph and my husband were martyred.

"The purpose of this affidavit is that my testimony to the truthfulness and divinity of plural marriage may live after I shall have passed away; and in this spirit I commend it to all to whom it may come.
"(Signed) Catherine Phillips Smith.

"Subscribed and sworn to before me this 28th day of January, 1903.
(Seal) L. John Nuttal, Notary Public.
"My commission expires March 30th, 1904."

Source: Lights And Shadows Of Mormonism, by Josiah Francis Gibbs, published by Salt Lake Tribune Publishing Company, 1909; Pgs. 99-100

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: vapsmithNancyKiserMamie
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds