× Do you have an Bible record for a Phillips family or one where a Phillips is mentioned and want to share it? If you are a registered user of this website and forum, please feel free to share them here! If you have another type of record, such as a Will or a deed? Just let the administrator know and we will create a category for it.

Phillips-Anderson bible

• NancyKiser
  • NancyKiser's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
06 Oct 2011 20:03 - 08 Oct 2011 22:22 #769 by NancyKiser
Phillips-Anderson bible was created by NancyKiser
Several years ago I discovered a transcription of the Phillips-Anderson bible at the Denver Public Library in a book that I think was titled "Virginia Vital Records." I made a xerox copy of that transcription and I have it before me right now. Here are the only marriages that were listed in the bible:

Richard Phillips and Katherine Smith were married August 8th, 1727.
William Phillips and Frances Gregory were married March 10th, 1756.
Francis Anderson and Lucy Phillips were married July 12th, 1802.
Josephus W. Anderson and Sarah C. Campbell were married April 27th, 1858.
Richard G. Anderson and Susan Ann Elizabeth Yates were married Oct. 27th, 1836.
C.W. Chamblin and Mary F. Anderson were married 4th Jany, 1865.
R.W. Anderson, State of Colorado, ws married to Miss Lenora Knight of Colorado on the 21st Octr, 1876.

As usual in old bibles, there is very little indication of how all these different people were related, but it is pretty clear that Richard Phillips and Katherine Smith were the oldest, because their marriage date precedes all the others.

Under births, the following children were listed first:
William Phillips was born August 3rd, 1728
Anna Phillips was born Feby 5th, 1729 (really 1730 by our modern calendar)
Richard Phillips was born April 14th, 1732
Elizabeth Phillips was born June 20th, 1737
Susanna Phillips was born March 25th, 1742
Thomas Phillips was born Sept 10th, 1744

Although the bible does not state who the parents were, it seems pretty obvious to me that Richard Phillips and Katherine Smith were the parents, since William was born almost exactly one year after Richard and Katherine got married.

William Phillips, the son of Richard Phillips and Katherine Smith, who was born August 3rd, 1728, is the person who married Frances Gregory March 10th 1756. Their children also appear to be listed in the bible, although the bible does not state this specifically. Here is the list of their presumed children from the bible:

Richard Phillips was born January 12th, 1757
Elizabeth Phillips was born Feby 17th, 1758
Anna W. Phillips was born Sept 7th, 1761
Agnes West Phillips was born May 5th, 1765
William Ballard Phillips was born April April 29th, 1768
Catherine Smith Phillips was born Sept 15th, 1770
Susanna Phillips was born April 9th, 1773
Lucy Phillips was born July 29th, 1776

Although the bible does not specifically state that these were the children of William Phillips and Frances Gregory, it seems likely because Richard Phillips was born ten months after they got married.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: vapsmithNancyKiserMamie
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds