× Do you have a marriage record for a Phillips family or one where a Phillips is mentioned and want to share it? If you are a registered user of this website and forum, please feel free to share them here! If you have another type of record, such as a Will or a deed? Just let the administrator know and we will create a category for it.

Wilkes Co Georgia

• NancyKiser
  • NancyKiser's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
21 Feb 2011 12:19 #276 by NancyKiser
Wilkes Co Georgia was created by NancyKiser
Please note the comments in parenthesis after the marriage record are speculative.

License Bond, 22 March 1794, for Leonard Phillips to marry Fanny Brown. Signed Leonard Phillips. (Putative issue: Rebecca b. ca. 1795, Susanna b. ca. 1799. A Lenyard Phillips bought 200 acres on both sides of Hattons Fork in Wilkes County in 1789. Leonard/Lenyard was probably born by 1768 to have purchased land in 1789. He appears on the 1850 census in Sumner County TN living in the home of his daughter, Rebecca Taylor. He is listed as 84 years old and born in VA. I believe that this Leonard was possibly the son of Leonard Phillips, who left Amherst Co, VA in 1783, and the grandson of Leonard and Johanna David Phillips of Amherst County, VA. A Leonard Phillips with a wife, eight children and three negroes prayed for 750 acres in Washington County GA on April 4, 1784.)

License Bond, 4 September 1794, for Robert Jinnings to marry Mary Phips, signed Robert Jinnings (by mark) and Samuel Pharr. (Mary Phips might actually be Mary Phillips.)

License Bond, 14 May 1799, for Zachariah Phillips to marry Catherine Chafin, signed Zachariah Philips and Zaechrus Philips. (Zachariah was probably the son of Joel and Elizabeth Harrington Phillips of Wilkes Co GA. Joel’s wife Elizabeth Harrington Phillips mentioned a son named Zachariah in her Wilkes Co will proved in 1816. Zachariah and Catherine named a son Harrington. DNA indicates Joel was the son of William and Ann Phillips of Anson Co, NC.)

License, 15 February 1809, for Joseph Hackney to marry Polly Phillips. Marriage ceremony was performed, signed John Leed, Justice of the Peace, 26 February 1809. (Polly was the daughter of William and Piety Phillips and the granddaughter of Joel and Elizabeth Harrington Phillips of Anson County, NC. This is proved by probate relating to William’s estate in Wilkes County.)

License, 8 October 1809, for Thomas Baber to marry Elizabeth Phillips. (Elizabeth was the daughter of David and Mary Davis Phillips who moved to Wilkes Co GA from Amherst County, VA. Elizabeth Baber was mentioned in David’s will. David and Mary left Amherst County in 1798 and arrived in Wilkes County by 1801. David died in Wilkes County circa 1819-1820.)

License, 6 July 1810, for John Philips to marry Nancy Daniel.

License, 18 July 1812, for Jesse Wootton to marry Polly Phillips. Marriage ceremony was performed, signed William Davis, 5 January 1812. (One of these dates must be wrong. Polly was the daughter of David and Mary Davis Phillips. Polly Wootton was mentioned in David’s will dated 1819.)

License, 7 September 1815, for Howard Portwood to marry Tempe/Tempy Phillips/Philips. Marriage ceremony was performed, signed Archibald Gresham, Justice of the Peace, 7 September 1815. (Son: James Madison Portwood. Tempe appears to have died by 1822, because Howard Portwood married Milly Taylor 12/20/1822 in Wilkes County. I wonder if Tempe Phillips was related to Patsy Phillips who married Dempsey Portwood in 1816. According to a message on the Wilkes County GA rootsweb message board, Howard Portwood (1787-1850) and Dempsey Portwood (1782-1851) were the sons of Benjamin Portwood (1755-1841) of Currituck County, NC.)

License, 14 September 1815, for James Esters/Estens to marry Elizabeth Phillips/Philips. (Was James Esters related to Matilda Estes who married Yearby Phillips in 1819? Was Yearby Phillips related to Elizabeth Phillips? Elizabeth died in abut 1829, leaving the following four or five children: Samuel James Estes, Sara Rebecca Estes, Simeon Estes, William Ross Estes and Lucy Estes. James Estes married second Mary “Polly” Morgan. In 1854, Yearby Philips, a resident of Harris County, GA, made an affidavit in behalf of Mary Morgan Estes, widow of James Estes. Yearby appears on the 1850 census in Harris County GA as a 54 year old man, indicating that he was born about 1795. Here is a quote from the diary of James Estes which is on file at the National Archives: "On the 7th of may 1815 I arrived at home James Estes this year I cropped with my father and on the 14th of September I married in 1816 and 1817 I lived with Jonathan Phillips I was drafted in Putnam County to go a gain the Indian But got a substitute in 1818 I Settled a place of my one." This Jonathan Phillips was probably the son of David and Mary Phillips.)

License, 24 December 1816, for Dempsey Portwood to marry Patsy/Patsey Phillips/Philips. Marriage ceremony was performed, signed Isaac C. Perkins, Justice of the Peace, 26 December 1816. (Martha/Patsy may have been the daughter of Mark and Nancy Phillips of Greene Co GA, although Mark called her Patsy Phillips in his will which was proved in Greene County in 1817. However, the will was written in 1812. Note there was also a Martha Phillips who married Timothy Veazey 25 Oct 1821 in Greene County, GA, and Martha’s brother Hardy married Rebecca Veazey 23 Oct 1814 in Greene County GA. Dempsey Portwood was the putative brother of Howard Portwood who married Tempe Phillips in 1815. Three descendants of Mark and Nancy Phillips have been DNA tested and belong to Group 53.)

License, 31 December 1816, for Sanders Moncrief to marry Susannah/Susanna Philips/Phillips. Marriage ceremony was performed, signed Dabney A. Martin, Justice of the Peace, 7 January 1817. (Larry Moncrief says Susannah was the daughter of Leonard and Fanny Brown Phillips. Susannah’s issue included Littleberry B., Elizabeth A., and Thomas Jefferson Moncrief. Note that John and Ruth Beall of Richmond County, GA, had a daughter named Polly who married Littleberry Bostick 1792 in Richmond County, GA. Also, Hillery, the son of John and Ruth, had a son born in 1801 who was named Littleberry Bostick Phillips. Littleberry Bostick was a well-known Patriot during the Revolution which may explain why so many people named sons Littleberry Bostick.

License, 24 October 1817, for William Johnson Jr. to marry Fanny/Fannie Phillips. Marriage was performed, signed William Davis, 30 October 1817. (Fanny was the daughter of David and Mary Davis Phillips. Fanny Johnson was mentioned in David’s will.)

License, 28 May 1819 for William Phillips/Philips to marry Lucy Johnson. (William was the probable son of David and Mary David Phillips. A William Phillips was mentioned in David’s will. Was Lucy Johnson the sister of William Johnson who married Fanny Phillips, daughter of David and Mary Phillips, in 1817?)

License, 1 July 1819, for Yearby/Yearley Phillips/Philips to marry Matilda Estes/Eastes. (Was Matilda Estes related to James Esters who married Elizabeth Phillips in 1815? Yearby served in the War of 1812 in Booth’s Regiment, 4th Company, along with Levi, Nathan and Thomas Phillips. Also an Irby Phillips appears on the 1820 census in Wilkes County, along with Leonard Phillips, Mary Phillips (widow of David) and William Phillips (son of Mary and David.) I suspect that Yearby/Irby Phillips might have been the son of Leonard Phillips who married Fanny Brown in Wilkes County in 1794. Yearby Phillips with wife Matilda appears on the 1850 census in Harris County GA as a 54 year old man born in GA, indicating that he was born circa 1795.)

License, 18 September 1823, for marriage of Newton D. Armer to Frances Philips. Marriage ceremony was performed, signed Richard Hudspeth, Justice of the Peace, 25 September 1823. Book B, folio 95. (Frances must have died young, because Newton married Elizabeth Palmer 11 October 1825 in Wilkes County, GA. Note that Rachel Phillips, daughter of Zachariah Phillips, married James Armor 17 Nov 1804 in Greene Co. GA.)

License, 29 December 1823, for Jarvis Brooks to marry Susan Philips. Marriage ceremony was performed, signed Richard Hudspeth, Justice of the Peace, 30 December 1823. Book B, folio 31.

License, 27 October 1824, for Lewis Miller to marry Lucretia Phillips. Marriage ceremony was performed, signed Thomas Guest, Justice of the Peace, 27 October 1824. Book B, folio 55. (Is Lewis the brother of Nancy Miller who married Henry Phillips in 1825? Is Lucretia the daughter of Dr. William D. Phillips and Mary Spratling?)

License, 3 December 1824, for Jonathan Phillips to marry Lucy Phillips. Marriage ceremony was performed, signed Sylvanus Gibson, Minister of the Gospel, 9 December 1825. Book B, folio 59.
(One of the two dates on this license was probably incorrect. I think that this Jonathan Phillips was the son of David and Mary Davis Phillips. Lucy Phillips might have been the daughter of Thomas and Milly Davis Phillips, although another source claims she was the widow of Jonathan’s brother William.)

License, 19 April 1825, for Henry Philips to marry Nancy A. Miller/Millen. Marriage ceremony was performed, signed Thomas Guest, Justice of the Peace, 18 May 1825. Book B, folio 96. (Possible son of Dr. William D. Phillips and Mary Spratling. David Felps who died in Putnam County in 1816 mentioned a son named William D. Felps in his will.)

License, 13 November 1828, for Ambrose Phillips to marry Lydia Strozier. Marriage ceremony was performed, signed Enoch Callaway, Minister of the Gospel, 21 November 1828. Book B, folio 179. (Ambrose Phillips was the alleged son Dr. William D. Phillips and Mary Spratling, but it looks to me like there were two different Ambrose Phillips born about the same time in Georgia. See marriage of A.A. Phillips to Elizabeth F. Grimmett on 21 Nov 1826 in Jasper Co GA.)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: vapsmithNancyKiserMamie
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds