× Do you have a marriage record for a Phillips family or one where a Phillips is mentioned and want to share it? If you are a registered user of this website and forum, please feel free to share them here! If you have another type of record, such as a Will or a deed? Just let the administrator know and we will create a category for it.

Married 1889 OH & Divorced 1919 CA : Lee A. & Laura Phillips

• Mamie
  • Topic Author
  • Forum Super Star
  • Forum Super Star
More
02 Oct 2011 01:48 #756 by Mamie
THIS WIDOW LIKE DEBORAH OF OLD.
Los Angeles.-Thanks to a series of unusual love letters, L.A. Phillips, former head of the Phillips Printing Company, is free to pursue his amorous adventures with the young widow who wrote them. Mrs. Laura Phillips, his wife, secured the divorce.

When the letters were read in court, the spectators leaned forward to catch every word. They giggled at the widow’s statement that even kissing can be overdone. In one letter, she unburdened herself as follows:

He Needs Cuddling.

“Nature, my dear Phil, made you a lover. You simply can’t help wanting to cuddle up to some sweet, appealing woman. You may hate marriage, yet you have the inclination to serve another. O, you need not think that I do not understand you.
“Shall I tell you what you would like to do to me? Nobody ever did it, but I will bet dollars to doughnuts that you would like to bite my ears, kiss my arms, my neck, bite my arms, in fact play with me as if I were a little what shall I say a soft little kitten. Nothing unwholesome about it. Sport, but with all your cleverness, I am surprised that you have not discovered a certain natural law, namely, that people are quickly demagnetized. Even kissing can be overdone.”

She Is Drawn to Him.

Another letter, signed, “With love, Anna,” read:
“I wonder why I am drawn to you so mightily. You do not bring out what is clever in me like the “ex” did, but somehow there is sympathy and an understanding that binds me to you, but not you to me. What is lacking in me? Where did I fall some nine years ago? I said that no one in the world ever cared for you as much as I. Piffle! I have the emotional nature of an actress, I much have occasional outbursts to get rid of surplus steam.
“I hardly think that I am at all in love with you, much as it may hurt your vanity. I admire you for what you have achieved-others for your looks. Somehow, I feel that I could make up for what you had missed in happiness in your early years. To make you know what a real home is was my desire.”

It’s A Great Gamble.

Again she said:
‘Damn marriage’ you say. Granted that it is a great gamble, it is the only safe path for those to follow who would be content to gamble for the sake of perchance winning a prize.”

The Phillips were married in Sibley, Ohio, September 12, 1889, and separated in June, 1913. They have a son, Raymond, 21 years old. Mr. Phillips was said in the complaint to own real estate, stocks, bonds and cash. Mrs. Phillips charged cruelty, visits to the beach with other women, and correspondence with unknown women of a personal and affectionate nature. Mr. Phillips did not contest the case.

Source: Daily Times-Enterprise, Thomasville, Georgia, Wednesday Afternoon, October 22, 1919; Pg. 4

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: vapsmithNancyKiserMamie
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds