× Do you have a Will or Probate record for a Phillips family or one where a Phillips is mentioned and want to share it? If you are a registered user of this website and forum, please feel free to share them here! Do you have another type of record and feel we need a new category? Just let the administrator know and we will create one.

Esther Dashiell; Esther Phillips, d/o Joshua W. Phillips

• Mamie
  • Topic Author
  • Forum Super Star
  • Forum Super Star
More
17 Nov 2012 11:01 - 17 Nov 2012 11:02 #1134 by Mamie
Esther Dashiell (called "Hettie"), daughter of Henry Dashiell and Elizabeth Jones.
Born August 4, 1791.
Died January 19, 1855.
Never married.

WILL OF ESTHER DASHIELL.
I Esther Dashiell of Somerset County in the State of Maryland, do make and publish the following as my last will and testament.

Item First. I give and bequeath to my niece Esther M. Dashiell my negro man John and to her heirs forever.

Item Second. I give and bequeath to my niece Charlotte E. Dashiell my negro boy Seth and one bed and furniture and to her heirs forever.

Item Third. I give and bequeath to my niece Elizabeth S. Dashiell negro woman named Mary and negro girl named Margaret and to her heirs forever.

Item Fourth. It is my wish and desire that my negro William shall be sold to the highest bidder as he is ever secured; then I give and bequeath the purchase money to my niece Esther M. Dashiell, Charlotte E. Dashiell and Elizabeth S. Dashiell, to be equally divided between them.

Item Fifth. I give and bequeath to Esther W. K. Phillips daughter of Joshua W. Phillips all the residue of my estate.

Item Sixth. I hereby appoint Joshua W. Phillips executor of this my last will and testament, revoking all others.

That the foregoing is my will and testament I hereunto set my hand and seal this eighteenth day of January eighteen hundred and fifty-five.
her
Esther x Dashiell. (SEAL)
mark

Signed sealed published and declared by the above named Testatrix as and for her last will and testament in our presence who in presence of each other have subscribed our names as witnesses thereto.
Handy I. Fowler, James E. Cathell.

Somerset County to wit: February 13th day 1855.—Then came Joshua W. Phillips and made oath on the Holy Evengels of Almighty God that the foregoing instrument of writing is the true and whole last will and testament of Esther Dashiell late of Somerset County, deceased, that haeth come to his hands or possession and that he doth not know of any other.
Before S.W. Jones, Reg. W.S.C.

Somerset County, to wit: February 13th day 1855—Then came Handy I. Fowler and James E. Cathell the subscribing witnesses to the foregoing last will and Testament of Esther Dashiell late of Somerset County, deceased, and made oath on the Holy Evangels of Almighty God, that they did see the Testatrix therein named sign and seal this will, that they heard her publish pronounce and declare the same to be her last will and testament, that at the time of her so doing she was to the best of each of their apprehensions, of sound and disposing mind memory and understanding, capable of executing a valid deed or contract, and that they subscribed their names as witnesses to this will in the presence and at the request of the Testatrix.
Before S.W. Jones, Reg. W. S. C.

Recorded in Liber J.P. No. 5, folios 249 & 250.
Test S.W.Jones, Reg. W. S. C.

Source: Dashiell Family Record, Volume II, compiled by Benjamin Jones Dashiell (Member, Maryland Historical Society), 1929; Pgs. 392-393

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: vapsmithNancyKiserMamie
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds