× Do you have a Will or Probate record for a Phillips family or one where a Phillips is mentioned and want to share it? If you are a registered user of this website and forum, please feel free to share them here! Do you have another type of record and feel we need a new category? Just let the administrator know and we will create one.

William Phillips, of Taunton

• Mamie
  • Topic Author
  • Forum Super Star
  • Forum Super Star
More
10 Mar 2011 16:59 #335 by Mamie
William Phillips, of Taunton was created by Mamie
A Literal copy of the entire first volume of Plymouth Colony Wills and Inventories has already been printed in this magazine. Beginning with the second volume of the records we shall print abstracts only, but these abstracts will include every name mentioned, every statement of relationship, and every other item which has any genealogical or historical value. The abstracts will be given, as far as possible, in the exact words of the original.

The Will Of William Phillips

[Vol. 2, p. 1] - The Last Will of Willam Phillips of Taunton.

Deceased; Exhibited before the Court holden att Plymouth the sixt Day of march 1654 on the oath of James Walker;

"Aprill the 16th Ann° Dom: 1654 .... I Willam Phillips of Taunton of the age of threescore and ten att the least .... bequeath as followeth viz: Imprimis my house that I now Dwell in with my outhousing and all my lands that I have .... in Taunton with my Right and Interest that I have in the Iron worke now newly Erected and built att Taunton with all my houshold stuffe .... I give it all ... . unto my wife Elizabeth Phillips and my sonne James Phillips to enjoy it all equally together whiles the Lord continew theire lives together; but if the lord bee pleased to take away my wife by Death; then my son James Phillips shall possesse and Injoy all the things formencioned .... but if the Lord bee pleased to take my son James away by Death without Issue then my will is that after the Decease of my wife then the estate of mine .... shalbee and appertaine unto the Children of James Walker my soninlaw • to bee Devided amongst them equally I give .... unto my Daughter in law Elizabeth Walker an heifer of the age of two yeares . old . and to her little Daughter hester Walker an heifer of a year old .... my sonne James Phillips to bee my Exequitor"

The will was signed by a mark. The witnesses were "Olofer Purchise" and James Walker, [p. 2] The inventory was taken by William Hailstone and William Otway, 1 March, 1654, and presented in court 6 March, 1654, by James Phillips. The only real estate mentioned is "his Interest in the Iron worke" .£25. The total amount is .£78 8s.

Source: The Mayflower Descendant, 1620-1920: A Quarterly Magazine of Pilgrim Genealogy and History, Volumes XII, PLYMOUTH COLONY "WILLS AND INVENTORIES
ABSTRACTS OF THE RECORDS IN VOLUME II, By George Ernest Bowman, Pgs. 244-245

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: vapsmithNancyKiserMamie
Time to create page: 0.065 seconds