× Do you have a Military or Military Service record for a Phillips family or one where a Phillips is mentioned and want to share it? If you are a registered user of this website and forum, please feel free to share them here! Do you have another type of record and feel we need a new category? Just let the administrator know and we will create one.

TX: Charles Phillips, San Antonio Grays, Battle of Jacinto, 1836

  • Mamie
  • Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Forum Super Star
  • Forum Super Star
10 Nov 2014 10:17 #1595 by Mamie
After a delay of several weeks, and incredible trouble, in order to render the following muster roll as free from inaccuracies as possible, we present it to the public, for the information of the relatives of the deceased.

The original muster and decriptive rolls of the different companies were destroyed with the other papers belonging to the executive department, on the conflagration of San Felipe; and we are aware that errors may exist, notwithstanding all our pains and trouble.
Privates: ..........Chas. Philips.........

Source: Telegraph and Texas Register, Columbia, Texas, Wednesday, November 9, 1836; Pg. 1, Column 2
NOTE: On other records, his name is spelled, "Charles Phillips."

The battle of San Jacinto was the concluding military event of the Texas Revolution. On March 13, 1836, the revolutionary army at Gonzales began to retreat eastward. It crossed the Colorado River on March 17 and camped near present Columbus on March 20, recruiting and reinforcements having increased its size to 1,200 men. Sam Houston's scouts reported Mexican troops west of the Colorado to number 1,325. On March 25 the Texans learned of James W. Fannin's defeat at Goliad (see GOLIAD CAMPAIGN OF 1836), and many of the men left the army to join their families on the Runaway Scrape. Sam Houston led his troops to San Felipe de Austin by March 28 and by March 30 to the Jared E. Groce plantation on the Brazos River, where they camped and drilled for a fortnight. Ad interim President David G. Burnet ordered Houston to stop his retreat; Secretary of War Thomas J. Rusk urged him to take a more decisive course. Antonio López de Santa Anna decided to take possession of the Texas coast and seaports. With that object in view he crossed the Brazos River at present Richmond on April 11 and on April 15, with some 700 men, arrived at Harrisburg. He burned Harrisburg and started in pursuit of the Texas government at New Washington or Morgan's Point, where he arrived on April 19 to find that the government had fled to Galveston. The Mexican general then set out for Anahuac by way of Lynchburg. Meanwhile, the Texans, on April 11, received the Twin Sisters and with the cannon as extra fortification crossed the Brazos River on the Yellow Stone and on April 16 reached Spring Creek in present Harris County. On April 17, to the gratification of his men, Houston took the road to Harrisburg instead of the road to Louisiana and on April 18 reached White Oak Bayou at a site within the present city limits of Houston. There he learned that Santa Anna had gone down the west side of the bayou and the San Jacinto River, crossing by a bridge over Vince's Bayou. The Mexicans would have to cross the same bridge to return.

Viewing this strategic situation on the morning of April 19, Houston told his troops that it looked as if they would soon get action and admonished them to remember the massacres at San Antonio and at Goliad. On the evening of April 19 his forces crossed Buffalo Bayou to the west side 2½ miles below Harrisburg. Some 248 men, mostly sick and ineffective, were left with the baggage at the camp opposite Harrisburg. The march was continued until midnight. At dawn on April 20 the Texans resumed their trek down the bayou and at Lynch's Ferry captured a boat laden with supplies for Santa Anna. They then drew back about a mile on the Harrisburg road and encamped in a skirt of timber protected by a rising ground. That afternoon Sidney Sherman with a small detachment of cavalry engaged the enemy infantry, almost bringing on a general action. In the clash Olwyns J. Trask was mortally wounded, one other Texan was wounded, and several horses were killed. Mirabeau B. Lamar, a private, so distinguished himself that on the next day he was placed in command of the cavalry. Santa Anna made camp under the high ground overlooking a marsh about three-fourths of a mile from the Texas camp and threw up breastworks of trunks, baggage, packsaddles, and other equipment. Both sides prepared for the conflict. On Thursday morning, April 21, the Texans were eager to attack. About nine o'clock they learned that Martín Perfecto de Cos had crossed Vince's bridge with about 540 troops and had swelled the enemy forces to about 1,200. Houston ordered Erastus (Deaf) Smith to destroy the bridge and prevent further enemy reinforcements. The move would prevent the retreat of either the Texans or the Mexicans towards Harrisburg.

Shortly before noon, Houston held a council of war with Edward Burleson, Sidney Sherman, Henry W. Millard, Alexander Somervell, Joseph L. Bennett, and Lysander Wells. Two of the officers suggested attacking the enemy in his position; the others favored waiting Santa Anna's attack. Houston withheld his own views at the council but later, after having formed his plan of battle had it approved by Rusk. Houston disposed his forces in battle order about 3:30 in the afternoon while all was quiet on the Mexican side during the afternoon siesta. The Texans' movements were screened by trees and the rising ground, and evidently Santa Anna had no lookouts posted. The battle line was formed with Edward Burleson's regiment in the center, Sherman's on the left wing, the artillery under George W. Hockley on Burleson's right, the infantry under Henry Millard on the right of the artillery, and the cavalry under Lamar on the extreme right. The Twin Sisters were wheeled into position, and the whole line, led by Sherman's men, sprang forward on the run with the cry, "Remember the Alamo!" "Remember Goliad!" The battle lasted but eighteen minutes. According to Houston's official report, the casualties were 630 Mexicans killed and 730 taken prisoner. Against this, only nine of the 910 Texans were killed or mortally wounded and thirty were wounded less seriously. Houston's ankle was shattered by a rifle ball. The Texans captured a large supply of muskets, pistols, sabers, mules, horses, provisions, clothing, tents, and $12,000 in silver. Santa Anna disappeared during the battle and search parties were sent out on the morning of the 22. The party consisted of James A. Sylvester, Washington H. Secrest, Sion R. Bostick, and a Mr. Cole discovered Santa Anna hiding in the grass. He was dirty and wet and was dressed as a common soldier. The search party did not recognize him until he was addressed as "el presidente" by other Mexican prisoners. One of the eight inscriptions on the exterior base of the San Jacinto Monument reads: "Measured by its results, San Jacinto was one of the decisive battles of the world. The freedom of Texas from Mexico won here led to annexation and to the Mexican War, resulting in the acquisition by the United States of the states of Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, California, Utah, and parts of Colorado, Wyoming, Kansas, and Oklahoma. Almost one-third of the present area of the American nation, nearly a million square miles of territory, changed sovereignty."
-L.W. Kemp

Source: Handbook of Texas, published by the Texas State Historical Association, 2010

Please Log in to join the conversation.

17 Jan 2015 23:19 #1597 by hpcooperjon
I just came across this post from "Mamie" and I will tell you what our family believes about Charles Phillips who died at Goliad. My cousin, John Amour Phillips, was raised in Texas. His grandfather, William Vade Phillips, who was raised in Belton, TX, his father was George P. Phillips who was born in MS in 1863 and he doesn't know who George Putnam Phillips' father was, only that he was orphaned in the 1860's. His DNA is from Group 31, the same as mine. He said his grandfather took him to Goliad, TX to see where "their ancestor, Charles Phillips, was executed by the Mexican army after his Texans had surrendered. From my studies of the family of Charles Phillips, Sr., I've come to believe that his son, Charles Phillips, Jr. brought his family to Marion Co., MS where they were counted by the census taker in 1830. I believe, (no proof) that his son William Charles Phillips, III was recruited from Marion Co. in the 1830's and went to Texas. Charles, Jr. then moved back to Perry Co., AL where his daughter and her husband, John Shannon, already lived, and purchased land there. Backing up a little, I believe Charles, III, was one of Charles, Jr.'s three children at the time, his mother, Sarah Phillips, was killed at Ft. Sinquefield and everyone know that story. He was born in 1810 in Clarke Co., AL, one year after they arrived from Wilkes Co., GA. Charles, Jr. is recorded as the adoptive father of the three Boswell children who were orphaned. I've had contact with a Boswell descendant who state that her ancestor, Asa Boswell, was one of those adoptees, and that he married Mary Stinson and lived next door to Charles, Sr. per the 1830 census of Clarke Co. To sum it up, this is oral family history as far as Charles, III and his death at Goliad. I've wondered if he had a wife or children at the time. I don't know if that could be determined by research in Texas records since I have not attempted it. Question: Is there a mass grave for these Texans at Goliad or individual graves? Or were they taken home for burial? Do you have any additional knowledge of Charles Phillips who died at Goliad? Thanks, Hugh Phillips

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: vapsmithNancyKiserMamie
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds