× This is the forum where you may talk about anything. Need help with Genealogy Software? Ask here! Tell us all about your research trips, ask questions, tell everyone your exciting finds, complain about your brick walls or post tips for those new to DNA testing. Let others know about reunions and events. Whatever you want to talk about, this is the place to do it. Just use good judgment in your posts and treat others like you expect to be treated.

Results from Geno 2.0 DNA test

• packager2
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Jan 2013 09:16 - 23 Jan 2013 09:16 #1171 by packager2
Results from Geno 2.0 DNA test was created by packager2
I am the only T haplotype person in the Phillips DNA Project and it has been my goal to come up with as many matches as possible to see which Phillips families I am related to. Unfortunately, to date, there are none. I have many maternal matches in my mtDNA results but only one, 3 step relative in Georgia. This was my main reason to get tested with The Genographic Project offered by National Genographic. After a long wait I finally received my results and had the results transferred to Family Tree DNA where I could see the results. Now, rather than seeing the 5 SNP markers I had listed under my 231809 kit#, I now have 391 markers. This is all wonderful, but now I need to learn how to interpret all these. There are at least 60 Y-DNA markers and the rest appear to be mtDNA markers.
This number of markers available for each person that tests, is ground breaking, in my opinion. As more of these results come in from around the world, it will expand our knowledge of the Haplogroups tremendously.
I encourage more Phillips males to get this Geno 2.0 test done. If there is any Phillips members out there whose ancestors are from Devon, England, I would love to hear from you.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
21 Feb 2013 12:51 #1188 by NancyKiser
Replied by NancyKiser on topic Results from Geno 2.0 DNA test
Hi, Paul,

I apologize for not responding sooner, but I only just now found your post. The purpose of the Geno 2.0 test is anthropological, not genealogical. Here are the reasons National Geographic list for taking the test:

• Discover the migration paths your ancient ancestors followed hundreds—even thousands—of years ago, with an unprecedented view of your ancestral journey.
• Learn what percentage of your genome is affiliated with specific regions of the world.
• Find out if you have Neanderthal or Denisovan ancestry.
• Have the opportunity to share your story and connect with other Genographic Project participants, helping us fill in the gaps in the human story.

I tried looking at your results under Family Finder, which I believe is where your Geno 2.0 results are posted, and under Population Finder, it says you are 100% European. Under Known Relationships, a person named James Mace Harkey Jr is listed as a distant cousin. Under Matches, a lot more people are listed including six people who are predicted to be 2nd to 4th cousins. So far, I cannot figure out where your percentage of Neanderthal or Denisovan ancestry is listed. Did NG tell you about your caveman DNA when they gave you your results?

Nancy

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: vapsmithNancyKiserMamie
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds