× This is the forum where you may talk about anything. Need help with Genealogy Software? Ask here! Tell us all about your research trips, ask questions, tell everyone your exciting finds, complain about your brick walls or post tips for those new to DNA testing. Let others know about reunions and events. Whatever you want to talk about, this is the place to do it. Just use good judgment in your posts and treat others like you expect to be treated.

Looking for John Phillips,b. abt 1842 and Cherokee connection

• Jennifer92151
  • Topic Author
More
03 Aug 2014 12:40 #1482 by Jennifer92151
I am supposed to be descended from a grandmother who was Cherokee. This story is corroborated by distant Phillips cousins with whom I have only recently been in contact. (I know that everyone thinks they have native american in their family.) I have been searching for many many years for John Phillips b abt 1842 and married to Julia A Hall in Gibson County, Indiana. I cannot find his parents. His father was born in Tennessee according to census records. There is one surviving Phillips male in my line and I recently found him and contacted him but have not heard back. If I can persuade him to do a YDNA test, I may get some answers as to what line I am from. If my post sounds familiar to anyone, or if anyone knows of a Phillips family with Cherokee, I would be grateful for any information. (I know that the YDNA will not show female Cherokee, but it could help me find the Phillips ancestor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: whatever

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• whatever
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 Feb 2017 08:54 #1772 by whatever
Jenifer, at one time, for some reason that I can't remember, many native people in the Ohio valley north of the river,
were listed as Cherokee, by the Indian Bureau. If memory serves me, most were actually Mingo and mixed people.

William Phillips

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: vapsmithNancyKiserMamie
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds