× This is the forum where you may talk about anything. Need help with Genealogy Software? Ask here! Tell us all about your research trips, ask questions, tell everyone your exciting finds, complain about your brick walls or post tips for those new to DNA testing. Let others know about reunions and events. Whatever you want to talk about, this is the place to do it. Just use good judgment in your posts and treat others like you expect to be treated.

Question for Ann Kiser... Phillips Family Lunenburg CO Va

• dspencer116
  • Topic Author
More
09 Oct 2011 02:46 #774 by dspencer116
Hi,
I hope someone can help. My mother is a Phillips, from a line of Phillips in Lunenburg and Charlotte, Mecklenburg VA. Her Father, Marvin Eugene Phillips, his father, Arthur J. Phillips, married to Maggie May Rutledge Mar,8th 1907, his father William Thomas Phillips born 1800, married to Mary Molly Procise in Nov 1875. William's mother is on his marriage certifcate as Elizabeth Phillips,but his father unknown. Elizabeths's parents are Robert Phillips (1800) married to Nancy Ann Stone in 1823.
I do have Phillips male relative still in Lunenburg. I will try to have someone do the dna test. Most of them lived in the Rehobeth district of Lunenburg. Lunenburg was split off from Charlotte Co at some point.
Any guesses on which DNA group I could belong to?
Thanks,
Donna

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
09 Oct 2011 18:22 #775 by NancyKiser
Hi, Donna,

Phillips Family DNA Group 32 has roots in Lunenburg Co Virginia, but it kind of sounds like your William Thomas Phillips might have been illegitimate, which means any descendants of his would not have the same Y-DNA as Group 32. The reason that I think he was possibly illegitimate is because his father is listed as unknown. I had already suspected he might have been illegitimate because he appears on the 1850 Lunenburg Co VA census as follows:

Ann Philips 45 bc 1805
Elizabeth Philips 28 bc 1822
Ann Philips 24 bc 1826
Wm Philips 20 bc 1830
John Philips 18 bc 1832
Richd Philips 17 bc 1833
Mary Philips 15 bc 1835
Joseph Philips 11 bc 1839
Saml Philips 5 bc 1845
Wm T Philips 0 bc 1850
Elizabeth Stone 55 bc 1795

As you can see, he is living in the household of his grandmother Ann (Nancy Stone) Philips. There is an Elizabeth Philips age 28 also in this household and she was probably the daughter of Ann (Nancy) and Robert Phillips. Since the marriage certificate indicates that his mother was Elizabeth, I suspect that William Thomas was her illegitimate son.

Nancy Kiser
Volunteer administrator
Phillips DNA Project

• dspencer116
  • Topic Author
More
10 Oct 2011 01:45 #776 by dspencer116
Thanks so much for your help Ann, I had suspected a skeleton in the closet. You can imagine how my heart sank when I saw "Father Unknown". I'm not sure if my relative realize this fact. I remember my grandfather telling me about someone young in his family who was with child out of wedlock and she drown herself due to the shame. Or maybe she tried... I guess you have to take these stories with a grain of salt.

And I had no idea you had answered questions for my sister earlier in the month re: Phillips at FT. Christana. Small world.
Well, seems like we may never know for sure who are decendants are. :( We have the same issue on our Father's side of the family. People make mistakes.

If I had my own DNA tested is it possible I could know who I might match in the past?

More
10 Oct 2011 15:25 #777 by NancyKiser
Unfortunately, women's DNA does not work very well for genealogical research. However, if you want to attempt to discover who was the father of your William Thomas Phillips, you might want to go ahead and get your male Phillips relative tested. You might be able to figure out his paternal ancestor from his matches. Here is a link to the page where you can order a test for him:

www.familytreedna.com/gro...p=Phillips

I recommend the 37 marker Y-DNA test for $149. If you have any trouble ordering the kit, I can help you order it.

Sincerely,
Nancy Kiser

Moderators: vapsmithNancyKiserMamie
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds