× If you would like to expand on your yLineage, this is the place to do it. Let others know if your GGG Grandfather had brothers and sisters, but don't forget to post that on the DNA Test Participants Needed forum. The more places you let everyone know your lineage, the better chances someone will find it in an internet search.

1777: VA. - Archibald Philips Held as Prisoner of War

• Mamie
  • Topic Author
  • Forum Super Star
  • Forum Super Star
More
19 Jan 2013 18:21 #1163 by Mamie
By his excellency PATRICK HENRY, jun. esq.; Governour or Chief Magistrate of the Commonwealth of Virginia:
A PROCLAMATION.
WHEREAS sundry persons, whose names have been transmitted to me by several county courts, as coming within the resolution of General Assembly directing certain persons to depart this state, have not applied for farther time to remove themselves, and the time formerly appointed for that purpose is expired: that is to say,
William Blair, of King George, Patrick M. Auley of Hanover, James Dunlop of Dinwiddle, James Stevens, Walter Robertson, James Calland, and Thomas Hope of Halifax, James Sampson, James Hav., and Archibald Philips, of Surry, William Shedden, Alexander M. Kean, and James Ritchie, of Essex, John Miller of Spotsylvania, William Gault of Amherst, James Stirling, and James Dunlop, of Southampton, Archibald Bryce, jun. of Goochland, Alexander Roxbrough, and John Fagail, of Nansemond: I have therefore thought proper, by and with the advice of the Council, to issue this my proclamation, hereby requiring the county lieutenants of the several counties aforesaid to take into their custody each of the above named persons as are in their respective counties, as prisoners of war, agreeably to the said resolution of the Assembly; and all other subjects of this state are hereby required to be aiding and assisting therein. All such of the said prisoners as reside on the south side of James river must be removed to the courthouse of Cumberland county, and those on the north side of the said river to Caroline courthouse, where they are to be provided for as prisoners of war, and allowed the benefits of the prison bounds till farther orders, they giving their parole not to go out of the same, and to behave themselves in an orderly manner.
Given under my hand this this 26th day of March, in the first year of the commonwealth, and in the year of our Lord, 1777.
PATRICK HENRY, jun.

Source: The Virginia Gazette, Williamsburg, Virginia, Friday, March 28, 1777, Pg. 1, Column 1

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: vapsmithNancyKiserMamie
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds