× If you would like to expand on your yLineage, this is the place to do it. Let others know if your GGG Grandfather had brothers and sisters, but don't forget to post that on the DNA Test Participants Needed forum. The more places you let everyone know your lineage, the better chances someone will find it in an internet search.

1821: Jonathan Jasper Co. GA., Certificate concerning reserve of land.

• Mamie
  • Topic Author
  • Forum Super Star
  • Forum Super Star
More
24 Jul 2013 12:46 #1296 by Mamie
FOR THE JOURNAL.
Messrs. Camak & Hines.-I observed in your last paper a statement of Peter Donaldson, stating that the Commissioners at the late treaty, promised him two thousand dollars-so far as respects myself or is intended to apply to me, I pronounce it to be a willful lie, and as the character of Donaldson is well known, it is unnecessary for me to say any thing more on that subject.

There is a report going the rounds in Jasper, that I contrived to have a reserve laid off on the west side of the Ocmulgee river, in favor of Wm. M’Intosh the Indian Chief, and that I had it run out to suit my own views, and that it takes in the land on the bank of the river opposite my mill; the report goes on to say that I am interested in said reserve, and will be the owner in a short time, or will have my negroes settle on it, the person or persons who invented this falsehood, or those who gave it circulation for the purpose of injuring my reputation, are willful malicious liars, and I can prove it. By inserting this in your next paper, with the certificate of Jonathan Phillips, which goes to prove the falsehood of the report, you will oblige.
DAVID ADAMS.

I certify that the lower corner of M’Intosh’s reserve on the west side of Ocmulgee river is supposed to be about one quarter of a mile above Gen. Adam’s mill, and does not include the land opposite.
JONATHAN PHILLIPS.
12th September.

Source: Georgia Journal, Milledgeville, Georgia, Tuesday, September 18, 1821; Pg. 3, Column 4

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: vapsmithNancyKiserMamie
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds