× If you would like to expand on your yLineage, this is the place to do it. Let others know if your GGG Grandfather had brothers and sisters, but don't forget to post that on the DNA Test Participants Needed forum. The more places you let everyone know your lineage, the better chances someone will find it in an internet search.

Mourning Phillips, of Virginia

• Mamie
  • Topic Author
  • Forum Super Star
  • Forum Super Star
More
10 Jan 2011 21:05 #200 by Mamie
Mourning Phillips, of Virginia was created by Mamie
(1)
Tuesday, January 1, 1828
The committee of Claims have, according to order, had under consideration sundry petitions to them referred, and have come to the following resolutions thereupon: ..........

2. Resolved, as the opinion of this committee, That the petition of Mourning Phillips, stating that he enlisted as a soldier in the war of the revolution, in the year 1776, for three years, and faithfully served throughout that term, and was in the battles at Stoney Point and Monmouth: that in 1781 he again entered the service, and continued in the army until the surrender of Lord Cornwallis, and praying to be placed on the pension list, is reasonable.

Source: JOURNAL OF THE HOUSE of DELEGATES OF THE COMMONWEALTH of VIRGINIA, BEGUN AND HELD AT THE CAPITOL, IN THE CITY OF RICHMOND, ON MONDAY, THE THIRD DAY OF DECEMBER, ONE THOUSAND EIGHT HUNDRED AND TWENTY-SEVEN, RICHMOND, PRINTED BT THOMAS RITCHIE, PRINTER FOR THE COMMONWEALTH; Pg. 80

(2)
Source: THEY WENT THATAWAY, compiled by Charles Hughes Hamlin, 1964;
The Ohio Society Of The Sons Of The Revolution Proceedings, 1909-1919 (Published 1920);
List of (Virginia) Ancestors of the Ohio Society of the Sons of The Revolution

Pg. 73
Phillips, Mourning (1758-1831) Virginia
May 1776 enlisted under Capt. James Harvey in the 2nd Virginia Regiment for 3 years. Honorably discharged in Spring of 1779 at Philadelphia, Pa. Served in Command of General LaFayette in 1781 until the surrender at Yorktown October 19, 1781. Twice married, 1st wife Miss Payne 1780; 2nd wife Elizabeth Kendricks, whom he married March 23, 1808, who petitioned for a pension on his services.
(Walter Dabney Phillips, Cincinnati, Ohio, fourth in descent, elected 1911.)

Source: They Went Thataway, Pg. 43

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
07 Mar 2011 12:31 #324 by JudithARobinson
Replied by JudithARobinson on topic Mourning Phillips, of Virginia
I found the following information in: Virginia/West Virginia Genealogical Data From Revolutionary War Pension and Bounty Land Warrant Records, V. 4--Nabors through Reyner. Compiled by Patrick G Wardell, Lt. Col, US Army, Ret'd. Heritage Books, 2008. p. 105.

Old War Rejection File: 8193.

Philips

Mourning, esf 1776, Henrico Co, VA, in 2nd VA Regiment;there afp 1827 ae 75 when 16 of his 19 children living, youngest ae 2; PAR, insufficient proof of service; JOHN BLAND AFF witnessed by Lee BONEWARE, Reuben ATKINSON AFF then Essex Co, VA he also served in RW with sol, witnessed by Thomas PILES; sol dd5/31/1831; md 1808 Elizabeth(MB4/23/1808, signed by her f Robert Kendrick) Henrico Co, VA, per cert. 1854 by that Co clerk/o Court James Ellett; children Isaac & Bernard AFF there 1840 that heirs to sol then: Isaac, Mary GREEN, Elizabeth, Bernard, Martha BARNES, Jane RICE, Samuel, James, Ann SNEAD, John, & Miles; other heirs who dd & left children were Thomas, Sarah, & Catherine, per Co JP M H GARDNER, George W. MUMFORD then Clerk of VA House of Delegates, W. D. Wren & J. B. Barnes, then Richmond, VA; wid afp ae 64 1854 Henrico Co, VA, per presiding justice John R Garnett, & PAR, wid afb Richmond, VA, 1855, witnesses James M FORD & John GRAYSON per notary public B. W. STARKE; gtd BLW44510; QLF 1902 from gdd Mrs. M A S Batterman, Roxbury, MA, who b. VA her m Martha Washington Phillips. F-R8190 R 1926.
Mourning Phillips and his 1st wife Hester Payne are my 4th ggrandparents through their son Rev. Bernard Todd Phillips and the Rev.'s daughter Paulina Payne Phillips Burruss. In view of the above I'd wondered how Mourning's son (by his 2nd wife Elizabeth Kendrick) Miles Turpin Phillips and grandson Alonzo Lafayette Phillips, whose grandfather is Isaac Phillips, were elected to the SAR.

More
07 Mar 2011 13:30 #325 by JudithARobinson
This is my lineage. I also have lineages for many of Mourning Phillips' children and their descendants. I can post a very complete lineage for descendants of Mourning's grandson Edward Phillips, brother of Paulina Payne Phillips.

Mourning Phillips b VA 1752 m. 1st abt 1780 Hester Payne
Bernard Todd Phillips b VA 1794 m. 2nd 21 Mar 1825 Sarah Rock b VA 6 Oct 1806
Paulina Payne Phillips b VA 28 Dec 1825 m. 23 Dec 1852 James Taylor Burruss b VA 18 Nov 1829
Olivia Elizabeth Burruss b IL 16 Oct 1853 m. 17 Apr 1877 Willis Laurence Robinson b VA 16 Mar 1855
Bernard Winfrey Robinson b VA 21 Sep 1888 m. 30 Apr 1912 Mary Nancy Ravenscroft b MD March 1894
Harry Bernard Robinson d FL 4 Sep 1999 m.1st 30 Mar 1940 Alice Helen Leide d NY 22 Dec 1975

More
07 Mar 2011 20:24 #326 by NancyKiser
Replied by NancyKiser on topic Mourning Phillips, of Virginia
Hi, Judith,

Thanks for posting your pedigree and the other information. You might be interested in knowing that a descendant of Mourning Phillips recently joined the project and got his Y-DNA tested. His Y-DNA matches that of Phillips Family DNA Group 17. This group traces back to John Phillips who died in Richmond Co VA in 1701. My guess is Mourning must have been his grandson or great grandson. Here is his pedigree:

Mourning Phillips bc 1752 VA, m 1) Hester Payne, m)2 Elizabeth Kendrick
Thomas Phillips b 1784 Henrico Co VA, m Elizabeth Turner
Bernard Phillips b 1818 VA, m Eveline Tennessee Huffman Sellers
Andrew John Phillips b 10 Aug 1867 Williamson Co IL, m Nancy Rebecca McAnally
Charles Raleigh Phillips b 1906, m Eunice Flo Stephens

Let me know if you would like to get in touch with the person who sponsored this test.

Sincerely,
Nancy Kiser
Volunteer administrator
Phillips DNA Project

More
08 Mar 2011 01:45 #332 by JudithARobinson
Hi Nancy,

Betty Head has been touch with me since last December, but thank you. I'm inclined to think her Thomas is a son of Mourning because Thos. had a son Bernard and there just aren't that many Bernard Phillips b. VA in Censuses. Offhand I can think of only one, a grandson of Mourning through his son Isaac is named Alpheus Bernard. Two questions- Some time ago a descendant of my 2nd ggrand uncle Edward W Phillips was in touch with you (and with me) and was considering participating in the DNA project. I haven't heard from that family, don't see any pedigree for them here, and wonder if you'd heard from them. Second, may I post what I have on Edward's family, and for that matter on Mourning's son Isaac or must the pedigrees be submitted by a direct descendant?

Thanks for all the work you and the others do for us Phillips descendants.

Judy Robinson

More
08 Mar 2011 17:22 #333 by NancyKiser
Replied by NancyKiser on topic Mourning Phillips, of Virginia
You may post anything you like, Judy! Betty Head's relative is the only one descended from Mourning Phillips who has gotten DNA tested so far.

Nancy

Moderators: vapsmithNancyKiserMamie
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds