× If you would like to expand on your yLineage, this is the place to do it. Let others know if your GGG Grandfather had brothers and sisters, but don't forget to post that on the DNA Test Participants Needed forum. The more places you let everyone know your lineage, the better chances someone will find it in an internet search.

Edward Phillips md. Teresa Henshaw

• Mamie
  • Topic Author
  • Forum Super Star
  • Forum Super Star
More
05 May 2011 17:25 #523 by Mamie
Edward Phillips md. Teresa Henshaw was created by Mamie
……."Married.—March 8th, 1849, at Harrisburg, Pa., Edward Carrington Henshaw to Sarah Edwards Tyler. The ceremony was performed by Rev. Howland Coit, of St. Stephen's Church." This notice of the marriage of my husband and myself suggests the subject of my story, viz.: my husband's family and my own. I will begin with the former.

THE HENSHAW FAMILY.

In the year 1653 two little orphan brothers, named Joshua and Daniel Henshaw, eleven and nine years of age, set sail from Liverpool, where they had a home and large possessions, to go, as they supposed, to a school in London selected for them by their guardian. I think few American Henshaws will ever sail up the broad and beautiful Mersey, past the splendid heights of Birkenhead, into a Liverpool dock, without thinking of these little boys, the eldest of whom is the ancestor, as far as known, of most of the Henshaws in America.

………The large families of the Colonial Henshaws, consisting mostly of sons, can best be illustrated by a mention which will also show the impossibility of tracing them up in a slight sketch like this. Joshua I. married Mary Sumner and their children were as follows: William, Joshua II., Thankful, John, Samuel, Elizabeth, Katherine.

…….Teresa Henshaw, born in Boston in 1791, married Edward Phillips, son of Governor Phillips, of the province of Massachusetts Bay. She was the daughter of Samuel and Martha Hunt Henshaw. She had two children, viz.: Edward Bromfield Phillips and Teresa Henshaw Phillips, both living unmarried in 1848. Wendell Phillips and Bishop Phillips Brooks are also of the family of Governor Phillips.

Source: Our Family, A Little Account Of It For My Descendants, compiled by Sarah Edwards Henshaw, Oakland, California, 1894; 88 pages; Pg. 36

NOTE: Only excerpts mentioning PHILLIPS have been transcribed and posted.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: vapsmithNancyKiserMamie
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds