× If you would like to expand on your yLineage, this is the place to do it. Let others know if your GGG Grandfather had brothers and sisters, but don't forget to post that on the DNA Test Participants Needed forum. The more places you let everyone know your lineage, the better chances someone will find it in an internet search.

Russell Phillips md. Julia A. Whitney

• Mamie
  • Topic Author
  • Forum Super Star
  • Forum Super Star
More
24 May 2011 17:07 - 24 May 2011 17:32 #570 by Mamie
Civil War Pension File of Russell Phillips
Invalid Applic. # 1242133 Cert. # 1005793
Special # C2559342
National Archives Building, Washington, D.C.

He married firstly, 27 Sep 1852, Hallowell, Kennebec Co., ME, Julia Whitney. She is identified as Julia8 Whitney (Reuben7, Reuben6, Abel5, Nathan4, Nathaniel3, Benjamin2, John1).

Company D, 4th Battery, 1st Maine Light Artillery, & Company K, 1st Maine Cavalry.
On 8 Jan 1900 from Philadelphia County, PA, Russell Phillips signed a Declaration for Invalid Pension. He is seventy-two years old and a resident of the City of Philadelphia, PA. He had enrolled in Jul 1861 in the 1st Maine Cavalry, and was discharged at Washington, DC, in Aug 1862. He re-enlisted at Richmond, ME in the 4th Maine Battery about August, 1864. He was honorably discharged at Portland, Maine in Jun 1865. He is wholly disabled from supporting himself due to defective eyesight, heart disease, varicose veins, bladder trouble, and senile debility. His post office address is 520 Vine Street, Philadelphia, PA.

The service record for Russell Phillips shows that he enlisted on 14 Oct 1861 and was honorably discharged on 17 Sep 1862. He re-enlisted on 26 Aug 1864 and was again honorably discharged on 13 May 1865.

Russell's Army Certificate of Disability for Discharge, dated 17 Sep 1862, states that he was a member of Captain George Prince's Company K of the 1st Maine Cavalry. He was enlisted by Captain Prince at Bath, ME, on 14 Oct 1861 to serve three years. He was born in Wayne, ME; is thirty-five years old; five feet ten inches in height; with a dark complexion, dark eyes, brown hair, and was by occupation a joiner when he enlisted. He was discharged for pericarditis of two months standing.

Russell received a pension of ten dollars per month commencing 9 Jan 1900. In 1903 and 1904 he applied for an increase in benefit, and was awarded twelve dollars per month. In each application he resided in Philadelphia.

On 19 March 1900 Russell answered an inquiry from the Bureau of Pensions. The inquiry was addressed to him at 520 Vine Street, Philadelphia. On returning the answers, he requested an address change to Forrest Grove, Bucks Co., PA. He replies that he considers himself not married, since he has not heard from his last wife for six years, when she was then known by another name. Her maiden name was Jennie Darling, and they were married about twenty years ago at the Tremont Temple in Boston by Dr. Lauramore, Baptist Preacher. He has no record of the marriage, but believes it was recorded in Boston. He was previously married to Julia Whitney, and was divorced from her about 20 ½ years ago. She lives in Medford Center, MW. He has seven (sic) living children. They are:
Frank Z. Phillips, born 16 Oct 1855
Lizzie Phillips, born in 1857
Charles B. Phillips, born about 1864
Etta Phillips, born in 1862
William R. Phillips, born in 1866
Herbert L. Phillips, born in 1870
(Note: Russell had six living children. His seventh child, Julia E. Phillips, died in 1861, and his eighth child, William R. Phillips, also died in 1861.)
On 8 Mar 1906 the Commissioner of Pensions was informed that Russell Phillips was last paid at twelve dollars per month to 4 Dec 1905, and was dropped from the rolls because of his death on 23 Feb 1906.

Notes
Their first child was Franklin Zina Phillips.
I was recently contacted by Stephen Phillips, who is the g-g-g grandson of Russell and Julia through their son Franklin. Stephen was able to learn more about Julia's Whitney ancestry through the use of my abstract of the Civil War pension file of Julia's brother Elisha. Stephen has written a wonderful profile of Russell and Julia. It can be found at his web site. From Steve we learn that after having eight children, six of whom survived to adulthood, Russell and Julia divorced. Julia can be found in 1880, along with two of her children, living as a domestic worker in the household of William J. Day in Medford, Piscataquis Co., ME. Julia and William would marry on 31 July 1884.
As Steve relates, Russell was lacking in his relationship skills with his wives, but he was hardworking, patriotic, very inventive, and an interesting character.

Source: Kenneth L. Whitney and the Whitney Research Group, 2009

NOTE: Link to the Whitney Research Group - has other PHILLIPS connections;
wiki.whitneygen.org/wrg/i.../Main_Page

NOTE: Link to Stephen Phillips' website:
www.mindspring.com/~stevephillips/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: vapsmithNancyKiserMamie
Time to create page: 0.062 seconds