× If you would like to expand on your yLineage, this is the place to do it. Let others know if your GGG Grandfather had brothers and sisters, but don't forget to post that on the DNA Test Participants Needed forum. The more places you let everyone know your lineage, the better chances someone will find it in an internet search.

Clark D. Phillips, s/o Wm. A.J. Phillips, of GA.

• Mamie
  • Topic Author
  • Forum Super Star
  • Forum Super Star
More
31 May 2011 03:04 #586 by Mamie
C.D. Phillips is a prominent farmer of Meriwether county, in which he was born in 1849. He is of Virginia stock, his grandfather, William D. Phillips, having come from that state to Georgia at an early date. His father, William A.J. Phillips, was born in Morgan county in 1828, and served through the late war with the state militia. His wife, Miss Mary M. Smith, was a daughter of Thomas Smith, also a Virginian, who was among Georgia's first settlers. C.D. Smith spent his early years upon the farm in Meriwether county and obtained such schooling as the country schools afforded. He has devoted himself to the science of agriculture and his fine farm, in all its parts brought to the highest state of perfection, bears witness to his aptness in his business. His wife, whom he married in 1867, was Miss Emma Sewell, a native of Meriwether county, born June 10, 1847, the daughter of John P. and Elizabeth (Wideman) Sewell, who were old settlers of the county, to which they came from Morgan county. Mr. and Mrs. Phillips are the parents of ten children: William A., Estella, Mary, Thomas H., John H., Albert P., Calvin A., Cleopatra, Edna E. and Iverson B. Mrs. Phillips is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church; her husband is a member of the Alliance and is the president of the county organization in Meriwether county. The family is well esteemed by all who know them.

Source: Memoirs of Georgia: Containing Historical Accounts of the State's Civil, Military, Industrial and Professional Interests, and Personal Sketches of Many of Its People, Vol. II, Atlanta, Georgia, by The Southern Historical Association, published by Southern Historical Press, 1895; Pgs. 518-519

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
31 May 2011 17:04 #588 by NancyKiser
Replied by NancyKiser on topic Clark D. Phillips, s/o Wm. A.J. Phillips, of GA.
Thanks for posting this, Mamie. I have always been very interested in this Phillips family because I suspect they belong to our Phillips Family DNA Group 8. We need to find a descendant for DNA testing to prove this theory.

I want to point out some errors in this article. CD's father William A.J. Phillips was actually born 5 June 1808, not 1828. This family appears on the 1850 Meriwether Co GA census as follows:

Wm A J Phillips 42
Mary M Phillips 40
M K Phillips 14
Wm A Phillips 11
J H Phillips 8
A J Phillips 6
M J Phillips 4
T H Phillips 2
C D P Phillips 0

William A. J. Phillips is also sometimes referred to as William J. A. Phillips. The "A" possibly stands for Augustus. William's father, William D. Phillips, was born 20 January 1768. These dates are from an old bible. William D. Phillips married Mary Spratling or Spradlin on 26 August 1796. Here is a list of their children:

(a) James S. Phillips, born November 17, 1799, married Elcy Phillips May 26, 1824.
(b) Elizabeth Phillips, born February 13, 1798.
(c) Henry R. (Henry Phillips m Nancy A Miller 19 April 1825 Jasper Co GA) and Ambrose A. Phillips, born March 11, 1802. (A.A. Phillips m Elizabeth F Grimmett 21 Nov 1826 Jasper Co GA, appears on 1860 Claiborne Parish LA census; Ambrose Phillips m Lydia Strozier 13 Nov 1828 Wilkes Co GA, appears on 1850 Harris Co GA census)
(d) Warren J. Phillips, born August 27, 1804. (m Marindy Montgomery 1 July 1834 Jasper Co GA?)
(e) William J.A. Phillips, born July 5, 1808.
(f) John H. Phillips, born February 28, 1810. (m G. Beland 22 Nov 1832 Jasper Co GA?)
(g) Permeliam R. Phillips, born October 2, 1811.
(h) Davis M. Phillips, born June 4, 1813.

More
17 Mar 2014 22:53 #1437 by devane11
Clark D Phillips of Hogansville, Ga is my great great grandfather. Thomas Hope Phillips is my great grandfather. William Edward Phillips is my grandfather and my father is William Edward Phillips. My name is Dianne Phillips DeVane and my father was the last direct male descendant from this line. What type of genetic testing can be done on my family line? I do have my father's ashes. Could those be tested?

More
18 Mar 2014 12:01 #1438 by NancyKiser
Replied by NancyKiser on topic Clark D. Phillips, s/o Wm. A.J. Phillips, of GA.
Hi, Dianne,

Unfortunately, cremation destroys DNA so your father's ashes cannot be used to extract Y-DNA. Do you have any distant male Phillips cousins who would agree to get tested? Even a 4th or 5th cousin would work.

Sincerely,
Nancy Kiser
Volunteer administrator
Phillips DNA Project

Moderators: vapsmithNancyKiserMamie
Time to create page: 0.320 seconds