× This is where you can share your Family Group discoveries. Post questions for your fellow Group participants or share brand new information. <strong>Start a new thread for each Family Group.</strong> If it becomes too long, start a new one.

Family Group 8--David Phillips, d. 1826, and Mary Sophia Hoffman

• Mary Zashin
  • Topic Author
More
24 Jan 2018 20:09 #1807 by Mary Zashin
Hi, Family Group 8, I am descended from David Phillips, d. 1826, Illinois, and supposedly Mary Sophia Hoffman, his wife...At least, that is the name she is given almost everywhere. But I have never been able to find any documentation that would support this name for David's wife...nothing! It is possible my research abilities are limited. I had thought perhaps she was the daughter of John George Hoffman and Anna Nuescheler, who were married in Philadelphia in 1756...but I am doubtful this is correct. David must married in NC...I can't find any marriage record for him...so, I would love to find some written proof for the identity of David's wife...anyone have any documents or any suggestions? Thanks, Mary Zashin

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
25 Jan 2018 13:15 - 25 Jan 2018 13:27 #1808 by NancyKiser
Hi Mary,

I don't know where researchers got the name Mary Sophia Hoffman but I do know there is a write up on this family in A Brief History of St. Clair County IL which I have not seen. I also know there are some bible records somewhere that indicate David and his wife had daughters named Mary and Sophia or maybe his wife was even called Mary Sophia Hoffman in the bible records. There may also be an article about this family in a magazine put out by the Genealogical Society of St Clair Co IL called "Branching Out" (Vol IV, No 4, October 1977).

Nancy Kiser
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mary Zashin

• Mary Zashin
  • Topic Author
More
25 Jan 2018 13:53 #1809 by Mary Zashin
Hi, Nancy, thanks for responding. Attached is the bit from the History of St. Clair County dealing with David Phillips...no mention of a wife, which may mean she died back in NC. ..I haven't been able to find those bible records...and in fact I don't have a daughter named Sophia in my tree..doesn't mean there wasn't one, just means I haven't found her...although there was a granddaughter Sophia...I am thinking that in the absence of evidence David Phillips's wife has to be regarded as "unknown"...anyone else find those Bible records? Polly Zashin
Attachments:

• Mary Zashin
  • Topic Author
More
25 Jan 2018 13:54 #1810 by Mary Zashin
I'll also look for that article...

Moderators: vapsmithNancyKiserMamie
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds