× This is the forum where you may talk about anything. Need help with Genealogy Software? Ask here! Tell us all about your research trips, ask questions, tell everyone your exciting finds, complain about your brick walls or post tips for those new to DNA testing. Let others know about reunions and events. Whatever you want to talk about, this is the place to do it. Just use good judgment in your posts and treat others like you expect to be treated.

Hezekiah Phillips (1780-1855) North/South Carolina - Georgia - Alabama

More
03 Oct 2014 14:40 #1491 by NancyKiser
Since both of your McNeely matches tested 111 markers, you could upgrade to 111 markers to see how closely you match them at that level. You could also take the autosomal test to see if you match the same McNeelys that Deborah matches.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• phill017
  • phill017's Avatar Topic Author
More
03 Oct 2014 15:47 - 03 Oct 2014 15:56 #1492 by phill017
Great, I will definitely consider it then, Deborah yes it seems you and I have probably been running side by side the past few years chasing these dead ends with the Phillips line, I even paid for the premium research by Joseph Shumway with ancestry and found much of the same, Hezekiah's father was more than likely a William Phillips who lived there in Coffee Count up to the age of 90 however not William Linton Phillips that many have added, I have the research packet and of course my public tree on ancestry.com:

trees.ancestry.com/tree/1...303/family

*Note that I have a James Phillips plugged in as Hezekia's grandfather, just a suspicion on mine, some generations down there is a James Hezekiah which I believe may have been their actual names, and James re-occurs through out the successive generations so I really believe we're missing a James Phillips. Our DNA points to the Ulster/Londonderry region. Our family tale has always been "Scots-Irish", and a separate group of our family over in Berrydale, FL has the same tale nearly verbatim "two families left Scotland - one came to the US and the other went to Canada". So I feel that that is somewhat of a control baseline to have the exact same story from two families separated - by family drama I might add.

*My 2nd Great Grandfather Leonard C Phillips (1858-1930) (Hezekiah's grandson) left and started another family in Mobile, AL - from whence I came ha

You can also contact me at: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Attachments:

• phill017
More
07 Nov 2015 16:29 #1639 by phill017
Just ordered the upgrade to 111, interested to see what it may turn up - it would be a big step to potentially confirm some type of McNeely line

• phill017
More
08 Nov 2015 09:09 #1640 by phill017

NancyKiser wrote: It is possible that your Phillips lineage is actually a McNeely lineage that adopted the surname Phillips because they lived on the plantation operated by Sir Thomas Phillips in northern Ireland. However, the fact that Deborah has McNeely matches on her autosomal DNA indicates that the transition from McNeely to Phillips happened more recently. Autosomal DNA dilutes very rapidly from generation to generation, so autosomal matches generally indicate a shared common ancestor who lived within the past five generations which equals approximately 150 years. The plantation operated by Sir Thomas existed in the 1600s, more than 400 years ago.

Quick follow up point on this, so we have tentatively traced our lineage back to William Phillips (1760-1852) who I feel confident in at least saying he was probably born in the Carolinas with our Hezekiah being born in South Carolina, and the Phillips plantation in Ulster was operating roughly within 100 years of our most distant confirmed Phillips ancestor. So it could be safe parameters to think our surname changed between the deep ancestry dna line of Mcneely to Phillips between 1630 and 1760. The oral history states that two Phillips families left Scotland with one going to Canada and one coming to America, and we've always heard the "scots-irish" label with our grandparents etc. I would assume potentially our group came to the Americas or I guess the British Colony as Phillips with the surname flip either coming during the actual migration or happened in Ireland/Scotland

• phill017
More
09 Dec 2015 14:40 #1643 by phill017

NancyKiser wrote: Since both of your McNeely matches tested 111 markers, you could upgrade to 111 markers to see how closely you match them at that level. You could also take the autosomal test to see if you match the same McNeelys that Deborah matches.

Hello, just got my Y111 results and once again Match Michael Leonard McNeely with a genetic distance of 9. However I do see his Haplogroup is listed as R-DF97 whereas mine is listed as R-M269. So to what extent does this add more insight? Thoughts?

More
09 Dec 2015 16:14 #1644 by NancyKiser
Hi Joshua,

The reason Michael's haplogroup is listed as R-DF97 is because he tested for that specific SNP. If you also paid to get that specific SNP tested, you would undoubtedly test positive for it.

Nancy

Moderators: vapsmithNancyKiserMamie
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds