× This is the forum where you may talk about anything. Need help with Genealogy Software? Ask here! Tell us all about your research trips, ask questions, tell everyone your exciting finds, complain about your brick walls or post tips for those new to DNA testing. Let others know about reunions and events. Whatever you want to talk about, this is the place to do it. Just use good judgment in your posts and treat others like you expect to be treated.

Hezekiah Phillips (1780-1855) North/South Carolina - Georgia - Alabama

More
29 Sep 2014 16:16 #1485 by NancyKiser
Hi, Deborah and Joshua,

One thing I can tell you is Joshua's Y-DNA does not look Semitic. Instead, it looks pretty Irish. Also, his closest matches under Ancestral Origins at FTDNA are Irish. So I think you can rule out the Phillips lineage as being Jewish.

I still think it is likely that Joshua's Y-line is a McNeely Y-line, not a Phillips Y-line. This is because his only matches at 67 markers are surnamed McNeely. Since you also have MacNeely matches on your autosomal DNA, Deborah, this reinforces the idea that Joshua probably has McNeely Y-DNA.

Nancy Kiser
Volunteer administrator
Phillips DNA Project
The following user(s) said Thank You: GrammyBoomFire

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
29 Sep 2014 17:07 #1486 by GrammyBoomFire
Hi Nancy,

Thanks for the imput ...... We were quite suprised to find this side of the house with Semetic markers and heritage .......Oral history passed on in our family was of Scottish heritage ....All 3 male yDNA lines support this [WISE, PHILLIPS, CREECH] ....... but my suspicion has been that this is through one of the unknown female iines of the 3 male groups which can probably only be unraveled with autosomal and hopefully with mtDNA, though I have not located a direct female only line to test for any of the 3 groups yet .... I tested mtDNA-HV but it runs up the wife of Henry CREECH and have only had a handful of matches either at FTDNA or mitosearch.com .....

One major obstacle in paper research for the early Coffee Co., AL families is the loss of many records due to repeated floods that damaged many courthouse records, and then tracking back to both GA and SC which likewise have missing records along the migration paths these people took .... So after 34 years traditional research and 7 years of DNA research, I am willing to sponsor specific testing when and if we can locate direct line females off of Hezekiah Phillips, James MacKinney Wise, and Henry Creech, as well as consider sponsoring autosomal testing for the same .... I also would consider sponsoring a yDNA test for one of Hezikiah Phillips' other male lines so that we can get confirmation back to Hezekiah himself on the R-M222 designation .....

It had been my hopes to resolve this lineage while my grandmother was still living but she unfortunetly passed recently at age 991/2 (her lineage carried the longevity gene) but I did promise her I would keep working on this for the family .......

I suspect Joshua and I have been stomping around the same ground for some time now, and running into the same road blocks .......

Thank you Nancy for putting together such a great yDNA site and this forum ....... very nice .......
Deborah

• phill017
  • phill017's Avatar Topic Author
More
30 Sep 2014 06:52 #1487 by phill017
It is interesting the McNeely surname is found in Northern Ireland and in the Ulster region where there was a plantation ran by a Phillips, many different angles, but I agree - the more I research this line the more I think the Phillips surname derives from either something of a spin off or a non-paternal jump in surname, either way it has made researching my family extremely difficult.

• phill017
More
02 Oct 2014 19:31 #1488 by phill017
Going a bit out on a limb, but I wonder if genetically our lineage is McNeely (or the countless variations of it) and that family moved to Ulster/Londonberry during the time of the plantation "operated" by Sir Thomas Phillips, could have been a surname transition then?

More
03 Oct 2014 11:32 #1489 by NancyKiser
It is possible that your Phillips lineage is actually a McNeely lineage that adopted the surname Phillips because they lived on the plantation operated by Sir Thomas Phillips in northern Ireland. However, the fact that Deborah has McNeely matches on her autosomal DNA indicates that the transition from McNeely to Phillips happened more recently. Autosomal DNA dilutes very rapidly from generation to generation, so autosomal matches generally indicate a shared common ancestor who lived within the past five generations which equals approximately 150 years. The plantation operated by Sir Thomas existed in the 1600s, more than 400 years ago.

• phill017
More
03 Oct 2014 12:20 #1490 by phill017
Interesting, would it be value added to further my DNA testing or a different variation of testing to possibly shore this up?

Moderators: vapsmithNancyKiserMamie
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds